Aymanam in Kottayam to showcase women’s talent
Polity & Governance
6th Jan, 2023
In line with the Kerala government’s plan to create a women-friendly tourism network in the State, authorities have embarked on a plan to redress the gender balance in the tourism enterprise of ‘Aymanam’ by showcasing women’s talent.
About the plan:
- The plan envisages turning the village into a hub of women-friendly destinations in Kottayam, which extends across a vast area from Kumarakom to Maravanthuruthu.
- A model Responsible Tourism (RT)village in Kottayam is set to include women across the state of Kerala to become part of it.
- Objective:The establishment of women-friendly networks that give women an equal voice in tourism is one of the key benchmarks for achieving the status of a model RT destination.
- Significance:The programme also helps empower women at the grassroots level.
The village has also been included in the Agri Street project in the State.
- Other developments: Recently, the Aymanam Fest highlighted the tourism, agricultural and cultural potential of the village.
- Increase women’s income
- Promote gender equality
- Increase GDP of state and country
- Make a women-friendly environment for Tourists
The promotion of equality and women's empowerment became one of the agendas in the Third Millennium Development Goals (MDGs) which was proclaimed by the United Nations in 2000 based on the results of joint agreement with 189 heads of UN member states including Indonesia.