Polity & Governance
29th Jun, 2022
Gujarat is the first state in the country to launch Balika Panchayat.
- The initiative aims to promote the social and political development of the girls and ensure their active participation in politics.
- It is a new initiative has been started in Kutch under Beti Bachao Beti Padhao.
- The main objective of panchayat is that the girls should move forward in politics.
- In Balika panchayat, the member is nominated just like Gram panchayat.
- This initiative has been taken by the Women and Child Development Welfare Department of the Gujarat Government under the 'Beti Bachao Beti Padhao' campaign.
- ‘Balika Panchayat’ is managed by people in the 11-21 age group and its main objective is to promote the social and political development of the girl child and to remove the evil practices from the society such as child marriage, and the dowry system.
- It focuses on women- led development instead of women's development.
- It’s a replicable model for other states where child marriage is prevalent or girls education is on the decline.
- Balika Panchayat have made girls vocal, which is proven by the Gujarat model.