Coral Triangle Day
18th Jun, 2020
The Coral Triangle Day is held on June 9 every year. It is a massive celebration of the Coral Triangle.
- The Coral Triangle Day is held on June 9 every year. It is a massive celebration of the Coral Triangle.
- The first Coral Triangle Day was celebrated on June 9, 2012.
What is Coral Triangle?
- The Coral Triangle, the world's epicentre of marine diversity, is one of the 3 mega ecological complexes on our planet, together with the Congo Basin and the Amazon Rainforest.
- It is a vast ocean expanse that geographically spreads across 6 countries in Asia and the Pacific: Indonesia, Malaysia, Philippines, Papua New Guinea, Solomon Islands, and Timor Leste (the "CT6" countries).
- It occupies just 1.5% of the world's total ocean area, but represents 30% of the world's coral reefs.
- It has the highest coral diversity in the world - 76% of the world’s coral species are found here. Fifteen of are endemic to the region, which means they aren’t found anywhere else.
- It is also home to the highest diversity of coral reef fishes in the world. Thirty-seven percent of the world’s coral reef fish species, and 56% of the coral reef fishes in the Indo-Pacific region live here.