India drops 8 slots on tourism index
6th Jun, 2022
India ranked at the 54th place in a global travel and tourism development index, down from 46th in 2019.
About Travel and Tourism Development Index:
- It is published by World Economic Forum (WEF).
- The Travel and Tourism Development Index assesses 117 economies, identifying key factors in enabling the sustainable and resilient growth of travel and tourism economies.
- It is based on 5 sub-indexes, 17 pillars and 112 individual indicators, distributed among the different pillars.
- The five Sub indexes:
- Enabling Environment
- Travel and Tourism Policy and Enabling Conditions
- Travel and Tourism Demand Drivers
- Travel and Tourism Sustainability
- The World Economic Forum's biennial travel and tourism study also showed a recovering sector following pandemic lows, though the recovery has been uneven and challenges remain.
- Japan, the United States, Spain, France and Germany are at the top of the list.
- India, with a score of 4.2, ranks 54th, eight lower than in 2019.
- India is the top scorer in South Asia.