India-Israel Women in STEM Conference
7th Dec, 2021
Recently, the India-Israel Women in Science, Technology, Engineering and Mathematics (STEM) conference was held.
- The STEM acronym was introduced in 2001 in the U.S. National Science Foundation (NSF).
- The idea to promote STEM education in India has been supported by the National Council for Science and Technology Communication along with the Department of Science and Technology, GOI.
- It is a curriculum that promotes the idea of educating students in disciplines such as science, technology, engineering and mathematics.
- This aims at establishing a robust platform for innovation for the next generation.
- India is one of the countries that produce the highest number of scientists and engineers, the growth of STEM has picked up significantly over the last few years.
- Under Article 51A of the Constitution of India, it is a duty of every citizen of India to develop the scientific temper, humanism and the spirit of inquiry and reform.
- The conference intended to establish a flexible working environment for women along with the need for socio-cultural changes.
- To achieve gender parity in the field of
- A robust STEM education creates critical thinkers, problem-solvers, and next-generation innovators.
- According to the National Science Foundation, it is predicted that 80% of the jobs created in the next decade will require some form of math and science skills.