Karnataka government to develop Nandi Hills as an international tourist destination
8th Mar, 2021
Nandi hills, a popular hill station in the Chikkaballapur district of will be developed as an international tourist destination.
About Nandi Hills
- Nandi Hillsis an ancient hill fortress built by Ganga Dynasty.
- Cholas were established Yoga Nandeeshwara Temple in Nandhi hills during the 11th Century.
- Yoga Nandeeshwara Templeis a Hindu temple in Nandi Hills, Karnataka.
- It is dedicated to Lord Shiva.
- It reflects Dravida and Chola Architecture.
- Raja RajendraChola and KulotungaChola's names are scripted on the walls.
- The first-ever SAARCsummit hosted by India was held at Nandi Hills in
- Nandi hills follow all the criteria to be developed as an International Tourist Destination.
- This can enhance its chances to be ranked higher in the World Tourism ranking.
World Tourism rankings
- The World Tourism rankings are compiled by the United Nations World Tourism Organization.
- In the publication, UN regions and sub-regions are ranked.
- They are ranked by the number of international visitor arrivals, by the revenue generated by inbound tourism, and by the expenditures of outbound travellers.
- In 2019 rank, France was chosen as the most visiting nation.
Important Schemes to promote tourism
- PRASHAD scheme: The ‘National Mission on Pilgrimage Rejuvenation and Spiritual, Heritage Augmentation Drive’ (PRASHAD)are launched by the Ministry of Tourism in the year 2014-15.
- It was initiated with the objective of integrated development of identified pilgrimage and heritage destinations.
- Swadesh Darshan Scheme: Ministry of Tourism (MoT) launched the SwadeshDarshan Scheme (Central Sector Scheme)– for the integrated development of theme-based tourist circuits in the country in 2014-15.
- 15 thematic circuits have been identified under the SwadeshDarshan for development namely:
- Buddha Circuit, Coastal Circuit, Desert Circuit, Eco Circuit, Heritage Circuit, North-east Circuit, Himalayan Circuit, Sufi Circuit, Krishna Circuit, Ramayana Circuit, Rural Circuit, Spiritual Circuit, Tirthankar Circuit, Wildlife Circuit, Tribal Circuit
What is a Tourist Circuit?
- Tourist Circuit is defined as a route on which at least three major tourist destinations are not in the same town, village, or city and not separated by a long-distance as well.
- Tourist circuits should have well-defined entry and exit points.
- Theme-based Tourist Circuits are circuits around specific themes such as religion, culture, ethnicity, niche, etc.
- A theme-based circuit can be confined to a state or can also be a regional circuit covering more than one state or Union territory.