National Science Day being celebrated to commemorate discovery of Raman Effect
Science & Technology
9th Mar, 2022
28th February is celebrated as National Science Day.
About National Science Day:
- Every year, India celebrates National Science Day to commemorate the remarkable work of Indian physicist CV Raman in the field of light scattering.
- On this day in 1928, he discovered a phenomenon of scattering of photons which was later known as ‘Raman Effect’ after his name.
- After two years in 1930, he got Nobel Prize for this remarkable discovery and this was the first Nobel Prize for India in the field of Science.
- The theme for National Science Day 2022 is "Integrated Approach in Science and Technology for Sustainable Future."
About Raman Effect:
- Raman Effect is a phenomenon in spectroscopy discovered by the eminent physicist while working in the laboratory of the Indian Association for the Cultivation of Science, Kolkata.
- Raman Effect, change in the wavelength of light that occurs when a light beam is deflected by molecules.
- When a beam of light traverses a dust-free, transparent sample of a chemical compound, a small fraction of the light emerges in directions other than that of the incident (incoming) beam.
- Most of this scattered light is of unchanged wavelength.
- A small part, however, has wavelengths different from that of the incident light; its presence is a result of the Raman Effect.
Objective of the Celebration:
The basic objective of observation of National Science Day is to spread the message of importance of science and its application among the people. National science day is celebrated as one of the main science festivals in India every year with following purpose:
- To widely spread a message about the significance of scientific applications in the daily life of the people,
- To display all the activities, efforts and achievements in the field of science for welfare of human being,
- To discuss all the issues and implement new technologies for the development of the science,
- To give an opportunity to the scientific minded citizens in the country,
- To encourage the people as well as popularize the Science and Technology.