PMSSS for J&K and Ladakh extended
6th Jun, 2022
The Central government has extended the Prime Minister’s Special Scholarship Scheme (PMSSS) for students from Jammu and Kashmir and Ladakh for another five years in the wake of the encouraging response it has received.
Prime Minister’s Special Scholarship Scheme (PMSSS):
- The Prime Minister’s Special Scholarship Scheme (PMSSS) was introduced by the Central government in 2011.
- Objective:To promote employment opportunities for students from J&K and Ladakh.
- Under the scheme, funding is provided to 5,000 meritorious students each year to study in private and government educational institutions across the country.
- The scheme offers 4,500 seats for general education courses (Bachelor’s in Arts, Commerce and Science), and 250 each for engineering and medical degrees.
- Budget:Rs 180-190 crore annually
- Implementing Agency: All India Council for Technical Education (AICTE)
- Students who are the domiciles of Union Territories of J&K and Ladakh.
- Those who have passed the 10+2 exam from the J&K Board or CBSE affiliated schools located in UTs of J&K and Ladakh.
- Students who have passed 10+3 diploma from UTs of J&K and Ladakh Polytechnic.
- Students having an annual family income of less than Rs 8 lakh.