Polity & Governance
6th Sep, 2021
The National Nutrition Week from September 1 to 7 is celebrated in India, to generate mass awareness about the need for pursuing nutrition and inculcate habits of healthy eating.
National Nutrition Week 2021: Theme
- This year’s theme for National Nutrition Week is ‘Feeding Smart Right from Start’.
- The union government has launched a programme for disseminating accurate information to generate public awareness by tapping into seminars and workshops.
National Nutrition: The Approach
- The problem of malnutrition in the country, including the stunting and wasting in the children of age group under 5 years of age.
- The government implements several schemes and programmes such as
- Anganwadi Services
- Scheme for Adolescent Girls
- Pradhan Mantri MatruVandanaYojana under the Umbrella Integrated Child Development Services Scheme as direct targeted interventions.
- The government also set up POSHAN Abhiyaan which aims to prevent and reduce the prevalence of stunting, underweight and anaemia among children (0-6 years).
- Reduction in the prevalence of low birth weight in the country through ‘Jan Andolan’ involving Panchayati raj institutions/village organizations, among others.
Focus of the Poshan 2.0
- The POSHAN Abhiyaan aims to make India a malnutrition-free country by 2022.
- The mission POSHAN 2.0 focuses on strengthening nutritional content, outreach, delivery, and outcomes by developing practices that improve health, wellness, and immune response to disease and malnutrition.