Raisina Dialogue 2022
Polity & Governance
4th May, 2022
Prime Minister Narendra Modi inaugurated the seventh edition of the Raisina Dialogue in New Delhi recently.
- The Raisina Dialogue is an annual conference on geopolitics and geoeconomics addressing issues facing the global community.
- It takes its name from the Raisina Hill, the seat of the Indian government.
- It is organized by the Ministry of External Affairs in collaboration with the Observer Research Foundation (ORF).
- Since its inception, the Raisina Dialogue has emerged as a leading global conference on international affairs featuring the participation of heads of state, ministers, journalists, academics and researchers.
- Theme of previous Dialogues:
2016: “Asia: Regional and Global Connectivity”
2017: “The New Normal: Multilateralism with Multipolarity”
2018: “Managing Disruptive Transitions: Ideas, Institutions and Idioms”
2019: “New Geometrics, Fluid Partnerships, Uncertain Outcomes”
2020: “Navigating the Alpha Centurys”
2021: “Viral World: Outbreaks, Outliers and Out of Control”
The Raisina Dialogue 2022 and its theme
- The 2022 edition will have over 100 sessions with around 210 speakers from 90 countries and multilateral organisations.
- While the main event takes place in New Delhi, side events will be held in Berlin and Washington.
- A young fellows programme will also be organised on the sidelines of the event.
- The theme for the 2022 Edition is "Terra Nova: Impassioned, Impatient, and imperilled”.
- Over the course of three days, the dialogue will feature panel discussions across multiple formats on six thematic pillars. These are:
- Rethinking democracy: Trade, Tech and Ideology
- End of Multilateralism: A Networked Global Order?
- Water Caucuses: Turbulent Tides in the Indo-Pacific
- Communities Inc: First Responders to Health, Development, and Planet
- Achieving Green Transitions: Common Imperative, Diverging Realities
- Samson vs Goliath: The Persistent and Relentless Tech Wars
Significance of Raisina Dialogue 2022:
- India is the second-largest country in the world in terms of population, and the significance of demographics can never be underestimating.
- No matter where there is conflict, India worries about evacuating its people. Therefore, India has to be the one country invested in global peace that will seek to avoid conflict
- The Raisina Dialogue 2022 will help in finding ways to move toward a global order that is inclusive and rules-based.
- The need for constructive conversations and encouraging diverse opinions along multiple tracks has never been more.
- In this discourse, we aim to map the evolving geopolitical and geoeconomic trend-lines, question prevalent dogmas about the international system, and encourage future-oriented thinking.
- The dialogue is a platform that brings together India’s friends and partners seeking common ground.