Rashtriya Vigyan Puraskar (RVP)
Science & Technology
22nd Sep, 2023
As per the latest update, awards related to Science are going to be consolidated from nearly 300 into 56 centrally-administered awards under the name of ‘Rashtriya Vigyan Puraskar’.
About the update:
- Announced on: The awards will be announced annually on May 11 i.e. National Technology Day, and will be awarded on National Space Day, August 23.
- Components: The RVP will comprise;
- Three Vigyan Ratna awards,
- 25 Vigyan Shri,
- 25 Vigyan Yuva-Shanti Swarup Bhatnagar (SSB), and
- Three Vigyan Team awards
- Categorization of awards: These prizes will be awarded annually for physics, chemistry, biological sciences, mathematics and computer science, earth science, medicine, engineering science, agricultural science, environmental science, technology and innovation, atomic energy, space science and technology, and a 13th category, simply called ‘Others’.
- The new awards will also be open to persons of Indian origin (PIOs), though a maximum of one such may be awarded the Vigyan Ratna, while three PIOs each can be selected for the Vigyan Shri and the VY-SSB.
- However, PIOs will not be eligible for the Vigyan Team awards.
- Candidate selection process:
- The Vigyan Ratna awards shall be for “lifetime contributions along with excellence made in any field of science”,
- The Vigyan Shri for “distinguished contribution to any field”, and
- The SSB for “exceptional contribution by young scientists”.
- The team awards shall be for three or more researchers who have made an “exceptional contribution as a team”.
- Age Limits: There are no age limits for any prizes except the SSB, for which recipients must be 45 years or younger.
- Prize heads:
- There will be no such prize money announced for the candidates under these awards.