Ujjwala LPG scheme: 90 ¬lakh beneficiaries don’t take refills
Polity & Governance
23rd May, 2022
Recently, in reply to an Right to Information (RTI) application, it was revealed that in the financial year 2021-22, 90 lakh beneficiaries of the Pradhan Mantri Ujjwala Scheme did not refill their cylinders. Also, over 1 crore beneficiaries refilled their cylinders only once.
Pradhan Mantri Ujjwala Yojana (PMUY)
- PMUY is a programme launched in
- Implementing agency: The implementation of the scheme is under theMinistry of Petroleum and Natural Gas through its Oil Marketing Companies.
- Objective: to distribute LPG (liquefied petroleum gas) connections to the women of low households in India.
- The programme was initially launched with a budget of Rs. 80 billion.
- Initially, five crores BPL (below poverty line)households were targeted through PMUY; the target was achieved by March 31, 2019.
- An additional allocation of Rs 4,800 crore was done, and thetarget was expanded to benefit 80 million low-income families through the scheme.
- Under this scheme, towards an initiative for the loss by Covid-19 outbreak, the Finance Minister of India, announced to provide cylinders free of cost to the BPL families from March 26, 2020, for three months.
Achievements of Pradhan Mantri Ujjwala Yojana
- The Programme helped in increasing the LPG coverage from 62% on 1st May 2016 to 99.8% on 1st April 2021.
- Approx 1 lakh people got employment opportunities through the LPG distribution network.
- As part of the Pradhan Mantri Garib Kalyan Package, more than 14 crores of free LPG cylinder refills were provided to the PMUY beneficiaries during COVID-19.
Liquified petroleum gas (LPG):
- Liquified petroleum gas (LPG) is a fuel used in many household appliances for cooking, heating, and hot water.
- It is called liquefied gas because it is easily transformed into a liquid.
- LPG composition is primarily propane, butane, isobutane, butylenes, propylene and mixtures of these gases.
- It is composed of liquid or gas (vapor), depending on pressure and LPG gas temperature.
- LPG needs only low pressure or refrigeration to change it into liquid from its gaseous state.