‘Vertical launch- Short Range Surface to Air Missile’ tested by DRDO
Science & Technology
13th Dec, 2021
Recently, the Defence Research and Development Organisation (DRDO) tested the “vertical launch-short range surface-to-air missile”, successfully.
- India successfully flight-tested the air version of supersonic cruise missile (Vertical Launch Short Range Surface-to-Air Missile VL-SRSAM), BrahMos from a fighter aircraft off the Odisha coast.
- BrahMos was test-fired from a Sukhoi 30 MK-I aircraft.
- BrahMos is a Joint Venture between India (DRDO) and Russia (NPOM) for the development, production and marketing of the supersonic cruise missile.
- It is a potent offensive missile weapon system already inducted into the tri-services (Indian Army, Indian Navy and Indian Air Force) of the Indian Armed Forces.
About Vertical Launch – Short Range Surface to Air Missile (VL-SRSAM)
- VL-SRSAM is a quick reaction surface-to-air missile that has been developed by DRDO.
- It comprises features like mid-course inertial guidance through fibre-optic gyroscope as well as active radar homing during terminal phase.
- Missile has the capability of ‘lock on before launch (LOBL)’ and lock on after launch (LOAL).
- As a result, it receives mid-course updates via datalink.
- It seeks to replace “Barak 1 surface to air missile system” onboard Indian Navy warships.
- The 8.4-metre BrahMos missile, the fastest in the world, has a flight range of 450 km (enhanced from 290 km following India's entry in Missile Technology Control Regime) and carries a conventional warhead up to 300 kg.
- This BrahMos missile is With high-precision and devastating power, it can cruise at the supersonic speed of Mach 2.8.
Defence Research & Development Organization(DRDO)
- It is the Research & Development wing of the Ministry of Defence, with a vision to empower India with cutting-edge defence technologies.
- It was established in 1958 after combining the Technical Development Establishment (TDEs) of the Indian Army and the Directorate of Technical Development & Production (DTDP) with the Defence Science Organization (DSO).