World Homeopathy Day
Science & Technology
11th Apr, 2019
- The two-day Convention on World Homeopathy Day was inaugurated by Secretary, Ministry of AYUSH (Ayurveda, Yoga and Naturopathy, Unani, Siddha and Homoeopathy) in New Delhi on 10 April.AYUSH systems also includes SOWA-RIGPA.
- The theme of the convention this year is-linking research with education and clinical practice.
What is Homoeopathy system of medicine?
- The word ‘Homoeopathy’ is derived from two Greek words, Homois meaning similar and pathos meaning suffering. Homoeopathy simply means treating diseases with remedies, prescribed in minute doses, which are capable of producing symptoms similar to the disease when taken by healthy people.
- Its strength lies in its evident effectiveness as it takes a holistic approach towards the sick individual through promotion of inner balance at mental, emotional, spiritual and physical levels.
- It was developed by Dr. Samuel Hahnemann in Germany in 1796. Now it is one of the major forms of treatment, adapted by most of the doctors of the world.
Why World Homoeopathy Day is observed?
- It is observed every year on April 10 to commemorate the birth anniversary of Dr. Samuel Hahnemann, founder and father of Homoeopathy system of Medicine.
- Observance of day seeks to spread more knowledge about this form of medicine in mainstream public health.
- It is an effort to bridge the gap between science and tradition through researches in the field of AYUSH.
- It gives an opportunity to review the path trodden so far, take stock of the challenges facing us, and formulate future strategies for development of Homoeopathy.
Initiatives of Ministry of AYUSHto promote Homoeopathy
- It launched the Short Term Studentship in Homoeopathy Scheme (STSH) for undergraduate Students and also the Central Council for Research in Homeopathy (CCRH) Scholarship Scheme for MD Students as a step towards capacity building and encouraging research aptitude among students.
- It is undertaking clinical research on cure of epidemic diseases like Dengue, Influenza, Chikungunya, Tuberculosis and other infectious diseases.
- A Dossier on ‘Homoeopathy – A Science of Gentle Healing’and ‘Standard Treatment Guidelines’ on 15 more diseases have been developed by CCRH.
- The ‘CCRH Archives on Homeopathy’ a digital repository of accumulated knowledge in homeopathy, having important homoeopathic literary material spread all over the world has been launched.
Central Council for Research in Homeopathy (CCRH)
- It is an apex research organization under Ministry of AYUSH, Govt. of India which undertakes, coordinates, develops, disseminates and promotes scientific research in Homoeopathy. It was constituted in 1978.
- The Headquarters of the Council are situated in New Delhi and multi-centric research is conducted through a network of 26 institutes/units all over India.
- To formulate the aims and patterns of research on scientific lines in Homoeopathy
- To exchange information with other institutions, associations and societies interested in the objectives similar to those of the Council
- To propagate research findings through monographs, journals, newsletters and develop audio-visual aids for dissemination of information to the profession and public.