What's New :
Center of Excellence for Khadi inaugurated at NIFT, Delhi
National Institute of Fashion Technology (NIFT), in collaboration with Khadi and Village Industries Commission (KVIC), has started the Centre of Excellence for Khadi (CoEK) at its Delhi campus.
What is a center of excellence?
- A COE (Center of Excellence) is a centralized unit of dedicated people with a mission to streamline access to scarce, high-demand capabilities for rapid execution across the business.
- A center of excellence (COE) brings together people from different disciplines and provides shared facilities/resources.
- It is sometimes called a “competency center” or “capability center” in academia.
About Centre of Excellence for Khadi:
- The Centre of Excellence for Khadi has been conceived by Ministry of MSME to address the needs of the Khadi & Village Industries (KVIC) in India.
- The objective is to help Khadi Institutions (KIs) to effectively design, produce and market high quality differentiated khadi products in the Indian and global market.
- CoEK is envisaged to be a centre for experimentation to innovate and design khadi fabrics for apparel, accessories and home fashions.
- The CoEK will be set up at 5 NIFT campuses as a Hub & Spoke Model:
- CoEK will create new fabrics and products in collaboration with the designers and Khadi Institutions.
- In order to enhance branding and publicity, interesting narratives around khadi, visual merchandising and packaging for new khadi products will be developed to increase the global reach of khadi.
National Institute of Fashion Technology (NIFT):
- It was set up in 1986 as the pioneering institute of fashion education in the country.
- It has been in the vanguard of providing professional human resource to the textile and apparel industry.
- It was made a statutory institute in 2006 by an Act of the Indian Parliament.
- Over the years NIFT has also been working as a knowledge service provider to the Union and State governments in the area of design development and positioning of handlooms and handicrafts.
Verifying, please be patient.