Former Service chiefs visit to Taiwan is proactive military diplomacy
The visit of the India’s three former Defence service Chiefs to Taiwan is going to be a path breaking event in an era in which more than physical standoffs will be in the grey zone & the cognitive domain and psychological targeting which will take the upper hand.
About the visit:
- Surprising Seminar Participation: The presence of former Indian Service Chiefs at a seminar in Taiwan has caught attention, surprising both the public and military personnel in India.
- Enhancing India's Efforts: Despite recent progress, there is substantial room for India to further develop its military diplomacy endeavors.
- Key Aspects of Military Diplomacy: Military diplomacy encompasses a range of activities including joint training, technological partnerships, equipment procurement, maneuvers, and attending significant events. Port calls by naval ships play a pivotal role, contributing to trust-building and international cooperation.
Significance of Armed forces cooperation:
- Mutual Trust and Diplomacy: Military diplomacy, building trust between armed forces of different countries, serves as bedrock for strong diplomatic relations.
- Supporting political diplomacy: It is often said that political diplomacy relies on military diplomacy to establish goodwill and cooperation.
- Symbolic Participation: Participation of military contingents in national events of friendly countries and hosting foreign units during significant occasions, like parades, adds to the ceremonial grandeur and reinforces bilateral ties.
India’s enhanced engagement and presence:
- Partnering with multiple nations: India engaged in over 20 major joint exercises in 2022, fostering cooperation and interoperability with partner nations.
- Expansion of Defence Attaches (DAs): presence in diplomatic missions and increased military presence in various regions reflects India's growing strategic stature on the global stage.
- Aspirations: India's wants to grow global prominence via its economic expansion, political stability, technological advancements, and increased military capabilities.