THE U20 PROMISE
Recently, Ahmedabad hosted the Urban 20 (U20) summit. In the history of G20 meetings, the Summit was the sixth of its kind.
What is U20?
- Establishment- U20, established in 2018 to generate discussions among G20 members on urban issues, was first chaired and hosted by the city of Buenos Aires. For this year, the leadership was handed over to Ahmedabad as the 2023 Chair
- City Diplomacy- Urban 20 or U20 is a city diplomacy initiative, comprising cities from G20 countries.
- Role- U20 plays a vital role in contributing perspectives, concerns, and ideas from cities to inform and enrich the overall G20 negotiations.
Communiqué published by the U20 meet:
- Six point message- It gives a promising six-point message like encouraging environmentally responsible behaviours, ensuring water security etc.
- Climate justice and equality- While being heavy on the agenda of climate change and climate justice, the Communiqué also argues for equality and justice in urban development.
- Efficient urban development- The Summit was attended by mayors from member countries such as Argentina and the USA, both of which are highly urbanised and have shown how urban development can be efficient and equitable.
Why was Ahmedabad chosen for this summit?
- Development Goals- Ahmedabad is a very good example of how cities in the Global South can achieve infrastructural development goals.
- Innovative policies- The city has been comparatively successful in its implementation of innovative and liberal urban planning policies.
- Effective utilisation of public spaces- Ahmedabad has also shown what good quality public spaces can do for a city’s residents and its businesses.