Not just for, but by women
With the recently passed Nari Shakti Vandan Adhiniyam, which promises for between a futures for women legislators, aims to increase female representation in legislative bodies and also enriches the diversity of perspectives, enhancing decision-making on a wide array of issues.
Historic Milestone in Gender Equality
- Women and Equality: Passage of Nari Shakti Vandan Adhiniyam in Lok Sabha is a historic moment for gender equality and women's empowerment.
- Increasing societal acceptance: The bill received overwhelming support in Parliament, indicating a societal shift towards gender equality.
- Helps to break patriarchy: It allows women to occupy roles traditionally held by men, make crucial decisions, and break patriarchy's chains.
Striving for Increased Women's Representation
- Lesser representation in States: Despite progress, women's representation in state legislatures in India remains low, hindering their influence.
- India’s position globally: India lags behind both developed and developing countries in terms of female representation.
- Reservation and Benefits: Central government is taking steps to ensure 33% reservation for women, aiming to empower women at the grassroots level.
Importance of Women in Legislative Bodies
- Better and Inclusive policy making: Research shows that states with more female legislators are better at enacting family-focused, equitable policies.
- More perspectives to closer outlook: Increased female representation enriches diversity of perspectives, enhancing decision-making.
- Larger women MPs or MLAs must be a new normal: Passage of the bill sends a message that greater female representation will be the new normal in politics.