Birth centenary celebration of Swami Atmasthananda
History & Culture
16th Jul, 2022
PM addressed the birth centenary celebration of Swami Atmasthananda.
- Swami Atmasthananda was the 15th President of the Ramakrishna Math and the Ramakrishna Mission.
- Swami Atmasthananda was born on the holy Buddha Purnima—the thrice-blessed day on which Buddha was born, attained enlightenment, and entered nirvana.
- He hailed from Kshetripara of Dinajpur, now in Bangladesh. He was born in 1919.
- His pre-monastic name was Satyakrishna.
- At the age of 22 years, Satyakrishna joined the Ramakrishna Order at Belur Math.
- He was elected a trustee of the Ramakrishna Math and a member of the Governing Body of the Ramakrishna Mission in 1973.
- In 1975, he was appointed as an Assistant Secretary of the twin organisations. He also became the Secretary of relief operations of the Math and Mission.
- Under the stewardship of Swami Atmasthananda, the Math and Mission conducted massive relief and rehabilitation services in various parts of India, Nepal, and Bangladesh.
- He became the General Secretary of the Ramakrishna Math and the Ramakrishna Mission in 1992 and continued to be in that post for five years till 1997 when he became a Vice-President of the Order.
- In 2007, Swami Atmasthananda was elected the President of the Ramakrishna Math and Ramakrishna Mission.
- He was the 15th President of the Order.