Central Universities (Amendment) Bill, 2023
Polity & Governance
7th Oct, 2023
According to the latest update, Cabinet approved Amendment to the Central Universities Act, 2009 for setting up of Sammakka Sarakka Central Tribal University in the State of Telangana.
About the update:
- The Union Cabinet chaired by Prime Minister gave its approval for introduction in Parliament, a Bill, namely, the Central Universities (Amendment), Bill, 2023 further to amend the Central Universities Act, 2009 for setting up of Sammakka Sarakka Central Tribal University at Mulugu District.
- The move was taken as provided in the Thirteenth Schedule to the Andhra Pradesh Re-organisation Act, 2014 as per the official announcement.
- The new university aims to increase access and improve the quality of higher education in the State and to promote avenues of higher education and advance knowledge by providing instructional and research facilities in tribal art, culture and traditional knowledge system for the benefit of the tribal population in the State.
Central Universities (Amendment) Bill, 2022:
The Central Universities (Amendment) Bill, 2022 was introduced in Lok Sabha on August 1, 2022. The Bill amends the Central Universities Act, 2009, which provides for establishing central universities in various states. Key features of the Bill include:
- Gati Shakti Vishwavidyalaya: The Bill seeks to convert the National Rail and Transportation Institute, Vadodara (a deemed university) to the Gati Shakti Vishwavidyalaya, which will be a central university.
- The National Rail and Transportation Institute was declared a deemed university under the University Grants Commission Act, 1956.
- The Vishwavidyalaya will be sponsored and funded by the central government through the Ministry of Railways.
- Scope of education: The Bill provides that Gati Shakti Vishwavidyalaya will take measures to provide quality teaching, research, and skill development in disciplines related to transportation, technology, and management. If required, the University may also establish centres in India and abroad. According to the Statement of Objects and Reasons, establishment of the Vishwavidyalaya will address the need of trained talent in the transportation sector.
- Appointment of a new Vice-Chancellor (VC): The existing VC of the National Rail and Transportation Institute will hold office for:
- Six months from when the Act is notified, or
- Until a new VC for the Gati Shakti Vishwavidyalaya is appointed, whichever is earlier.