Comprehensive Handicrafts Cluster Development Scheme (CHCDS)
Polity & Governance
14th Oct, 2021
The Ministry of Textiles has approved continuation of Comprehensive Handicrafts Cluster Development Scheme (CHCDS) with a total outlay of ?160 crore up to March 2026.
- Presented by: The program was launched by the Ministry of Textiles.
- Fund allocation: The CHCDS scheme has been approved for an amount of Rs 160 crore.
- CHCDS schemes were set up to build a world-class infrastructure that would cater to the business needs of local artisans and SMEs to increase production and exports.
- These collections were set up to assist professionals, adequate training, state-of-the-art technology, and the inclusion of human resource development. It is also coupled with market linkages and production diversification.
- To raise the living standards of millions of poor artisans located in far flung areas of the country as well as employment generation.
- To provide requisite support in terms of infrastructure, technology, product diversification, design development, marketing and promotion, social security and other components that are necessary for the sustainability of craftsmen/artisans engaged in the Handicrafts sector.
- To create more livelihood opportunities for people through interventions in the industry and to increase the income of professionals / professionals involved in the field.
Significance of the Scheme
- This scheme can also help boost exports of textile handicrafts as the demand for such products from India is worldwide.
- These projects will focus on bringing together scattered professionals, building businesses at grassroots level and linking them with SMEs in the handicraft sector to ensure a quality economy.
- 10,000 artisans will be selected to improve everything under the program.