Lupus affects one in 1,000 Indians
Science & Technology
23rd May, 2022
May 10 is observed as World Lupus Day. The day is observed every year to raise awareness about Lupus which is an autoimmune disease that can cause damage to any part of the body.
- Lupus is an autoimmune disease that can cause damage to any part of the body.
- An autoimmune disease is one in which the immune system is unable to recognize the difference between healthy cells in the human body and the foreign cells it fights to remove.
- This results in multiple organs like skin, joints, blood, kidney, liver, lung, and heart getting affected.
- The disease onset may be in the age group of 12-45 years affecting women or young girls more than men.
What are the symptoms?
- General symptoms: lymphadenopathy, fever and repeated infections
- Specific symptoms: arthritis, butterfly rash and ulcers
A person with Lupus typically has at least four of these 11 symptoms: serositis, oral ulcers, arthritis, photosensitivity, blood disorder, renal (kidney) disorder, anti-nuclear antibodies (ANA), immunological dysfunction, neurological, malar rash, and discoid rash.