Rajasthan gets 19 new districts
Polity & Governance
24th Mar, 2023
Recently, Rajasthan’s Chief Minister has announced the formation of 19 new districts and 3 new divisions in the state.
- The state now has a total of 50 districts.
What is the Procedure to form a new District?
- The power to create new districts or alter or abolish existing districts rests with the State governments.
- This can either be done through an executive orderor by passing a law in the State Assembly.
- The Centre has no role to play in the alteration of districts or the creation of new ones. States are free to decide on this matter.
- Name change: If the state government wants to change the name of a district or a railway station, then the Home Ministry comes into the picture.
- The State government will propose a new name to a district and forward the proposal to the Home ministry.
- The Home Ministry will forward the proposal to other departments.
- After that, the departments such as the Ministry of Earth Sciences, Intelligence Bureau, Department of Posts, Geographical Survey of India Sciences, and the Railway Ministry, provide their clearance to the proposal of the state government.
- After examination of their replies, the state government receives a no-objection certificate. Then the name of the district stand changed.