Registration of Births and Deaths (Amendment) Bill, 2023
Polity & Governance
11th Aug, 2023
Parliament passed the Registration of Births and Deaths (Amendment) Bill, 2023.
Key-highlights of the Bill
- The Bill seeks to amend the Registration of Births and Deaths Act, of 1969 which provides for the regulation and registration of births and deaths.
- Registrar General: The Act provides for the appointment of a Registrar-General, India who may issue directions for registration of births and deaths.
- The Registrar General will maintain a national database of registered births and deaths.
- Applicability: The Bill allows the use of a birth certificate as a single document for
- admission to an educational institution
- issuance of a driving licence, preparation of voter list, Aadhaar number
- registration of marriage
- appointment to a government job
- The Birth and Death certificates can be received within seven days.
Significance of the legislation:
- National and state-level database: The legislation will help create a national and state-level database of registered births and deaths.
- Transparency: It will eventually would ensure efficient and transparent delivery of public services and social benefits and digital registration.
- Better schemes and their delivery: The data received will help in making social schemes for the benefit of the people.