Swachh Survekshan 2020
8th Jan, 2020
Recently, government released the Swachh Survekshan League in New Delhi.
- Swachh Survekshan League 2020 (SS League 2020) was launched for Housing and Urban Affairs, Government of India.
- Objective: SS League 2020 was introduced with the objective of sustaining the on-ground performance of cities along with continuous monitoring of service level performance when it comes to cleanliness.
- SS 2020 parameters: The focus of the survey was on waste water treatment, faecal sludge management. The survey also focused on implementation of ODF+, water plus and ODF+ and ODF++ protocols of the ministry of housing and urban affairs.
- Results: In the category of 10 lakh plus population, Indore secured first place. Indore has remained in first place for the last three years. Following Indore, Bhopal and Surat are in second and third places respectively. In the category of population between one lakh and 10 lakhs, Jamshedpur was in 1st spot following New Delhi and Khargone.
- Swachh Survekshan (Cleanliness survey) is an annual survey of cleanliness, hygiene and sanitation in cities and towns across India.
- It was launched as part of the Swachh Bharat Abhiyan, which aims to make India clean and free of open defecation by 2 October 2019.
- SS League 2020 is the fifth edition of the annual urban cleanliness survey conducted by MoHUA.
- It is a cleanliness survey that helps in competitive federalism.
- The first survey was undertaken in 2016 and covered 73 cities; by 2019 the survey had grown to cover 4237 cities and was said to be the largest cleanliness survey in the world.
- The surveys are carried out by Quality Council of India.
- The annual cleanliness survey aims to encourage large scale participation of citizens in cleanliness drives.
- It aims to ensure sustainability of initiatives taken towards garbage free and open defecation free cities.
- It aims to create awareness among all sections of the society regarding the importance of working together towards making towns and cities a better place to live in.
- The survey also aims to foster healthy competition among towns and cities to improve their service delivery to citizens, towards creating cleaner cities.