Traffic Index 2018
14th Jun, 2019
Recently, TomTom an Amsterdam-based company, published Traffic Index 2018. The latest index ranks 403 cities across 56 countries, including 13 new cities.
- According to the Traffic Index report, the top 5 congested cities were Mumbai, Colombian capital, Bogota, Lima in Peru, New Delhi and Russian capital, Moscow.
- For this study, congestion has been defined in terms of the additional time taken to reach a destination as opposed to when the road would have been clear of traffic.
- Mumbai being a most congested city means that the extra travel time is 65% more than an average trip would take during uncongested conditions. For Delhi, by the same yardstick, the extra travel time is 58% more.
- Average times are of actual taken trips, across every vehicle in the entire network, 24/7. This is worked out by establishing a baseline of travel times during uncongested conditions across each road segment in each city; travel times are analysed across the entire year (24/7) for each city.
- The index factors for peak hours, accidents, inclement weather, construction work and all other factors likely to cause disruptions.
Mumbai and Delhi
- In both cities, traffic congestion during morning and evening peak hours varies between 73% and 102%.
- The index found that traffic flows most freely between 2 am and 5 am in both cities.
Around the world
- Nearly 75% of the cities part of the 2018 index had increased or stable congestion levels between 2017 and 2018, with only 90 cities showing measurable decreases.
- Congestion in Jakarta decreased by 8 % points while that in Lima rose by the same number of points.
- Globally, traffic congestion is rising. And that’s both good, and bad, news. It’s good because it indicates a strong global economy, but the flip side is drivers wasting time sitting in traffic, not to mention the huge environmental impact.
- TomTom is an Amsterdam-based company that offers traffic solutions, uses location technology to collect traffic information, and has been publishing city rankings for eight years.
- The TomTom Traffic index statistics are calculated from anonymized GPS data collected via navigation devices, in-dash systems and smartphones.