The future of a Uniform Civil Code
Uttarakhand Chief Minister recently set up a committee to prepare a draft Uniform Civil Code (UCC) for the State.
Advantages surrounding UCC
- Prevention of discrimination- Prevention of discrimination based on religion, race, caste, gender, etc. UCC will also cease discrimination in subject matters of succession, inheritance, marriage, divorce, adoption, and guardianship, etc.
- Help in better understanding of personal laws- Prevention of complexity in implementing and understanding of various personal laws of different religion.
- Prevention of violence against women- Prevention of violence against women and preserving the rights of women in India, since numerous personal laws like marriage, divorce, and succession of a certain religion are violative of fundamental rights of women.
Issues surrounding UCC
- Difficulty in execution- Different religions having different religious faiths which are based on the basic practices of the religion causes difficulty in implementing a basic platform of practices for every religion.
- Fear among minorities- The misconception of minorities that UCC will destroy their religious practices and they will be complied to follow the religious practice of majorities, i.e. Muslims, Sikhs, Christians, Buddhists, Jain, and Zoroastrians.
- Unawareness among people- The most significant issue is the unawareness of people regarding the objects of UCC, and the reason for such unawareness is the lack of education, fake news, irrational religious beliefs