The role of the ‘China Test’ in India’s grand strategy
The future of India’s strategic planning and decision-making lies in smartly balancing China in southern Asia and beyond.
Significance of China in India’s Policy Decisions:
- Concept of a principal contradiction: It is about considering ‘dynamic opposing forces’ while shaping India's future choices. China needs to be articulated with the said principle.
- China Test: Decision-makers must view their decisions in the light of the answer to the question: “does a decision help deal with the China challenge, or not?
- Ingredients of ‘China test’: Assessing Indian decision in the light of Chinese regional interests and if there need to modify secondary contradictions (other challenges, leaving China).
Testing policies in ‘China-Test’:
- India-U.S. relations: The lukewarm India-U.S. strategic engagement in the region is precisely what would help Beijing’s long-term objectives. So, India must act accordingly.
- Pacifying relations with Pakistan: Peace with Pakistan will help India to focus on the threats from China, thereby helping India in strengthening its traditional primacy in South Asia.
- American Engagement in Pakistan: It works in India's favour as it prevents Pakistan from going into the China camp completely.