What's New :
Balamani Amma, grandmother of Malayalam literature
Google Doodle celebrated the 113th birthday of famous Indian poet Balamani Amma, known as the grandmother of Malayalam literature.
About Balamani Amma:
- Balamani Amma, the grandmother of Malayalam literature, was born on 19 July 1909 in Thrissur district.
- She continues to be known as the ‘amma’ (mother) and ‘muthassi’ (grandmother), of Malayalam poetry.
- Balamani Amma never received any formal education.
- She was taught at home by her uncle Nalappat Narayana Menon, who was also a famous Malayali poet.
- Balamani Amma was also the mother of Kamala Das.
- Kamala Das was nominated for the Nobel Prize in Literature in 1984.
- She passed away in 2004 and was cremated with full state honours.
- Her first poem, titled Kooppukai, was published in
- Her most famous works include Amma (1934), Muthassi (1962), and Mazhuvinte Katha (The Story of the Axe) (1966).
- Amma was the recipient of various awards and honours like the
- Padma Bhushan, India’s third highest civilian honour, in 1987;
- the Sahitya Akademi Award for Muthassi in 1965;
- the Saraswati Samman for Nivedyam in 1995
- The Kochi International Book Fair gives a cash prize for writers in her name, the Balamani Amma Award.
Verifying, please be patient.