Chile marks a notch in global constitutionalism
Chile has constituted a new Constituent Assembly to frame a new constitution.
How the Constituent assembly is inclusive in nature?
- 51% women representation: The constituent assembly constituted to frame the new constitution for Chile, comprises of 51% women representatives, step to bridge the gender gap.
- 17 reserved seats for Indigenous seat: Chile’s new Constituent Assembly has also reserved 17 seats for the indigenous people, securing their voice and rights.
- Other inclusion: The constituent assembly has also included people from across the socio-economic and geographical spectrum of Chile, sexual minorities etc.
What are some striking features of the draft constitution?
- Catalogue of rights: New draft constitution provides a catalogue of basic socio-economic rights, e.g., Right to education; Workers’ right; Gender Identity rights; DE commodification of water.
- Autonomous institutions: Various independent institutions have been introduced by the new draft to maintain the idea of democracy and rule of law.
- Guarantee of citizen initiatives: Guarantee has been provided to the citizen initiatives including Indigenous initiatives for introducing and changing laws in Parliament.