Polity & Governance
29th Sep, 2022
The ministry of housing and urban affairs (MoHUA) has launched the Swachh Toycathon under the Swachh Amrit Mahotsav recently.
About Swachh Toycathon:
- The competition is a convergence between the National Action Plan for Toys (NAPT) and Swachh Bharat Mission phase two (SBM 2.0).
- It seeks to explore solutions for the use of waste in manufacturing toys.
The National Action Plan for Toys (NAPT) 2020 was introduced to promote the Indian toy industry including traditional handicrafts and handmade toys with the objective of establishing India as a global Toy hub.
- The competition will be open to individuals and groups to bring forth innovation in toy designs using dry waste.
- It will focus on efficient designs that can be replicated on a larger scale, toys that comply with minimum safety standards, as well as aesthetics of the toys.
- Centre for Creative Learning, IIT Gandhinagar is the knowledge partner for the initiative.
- The competition will be hosted on MyGov’s Innovate India portal.
Status of Toy Market:
- Global toy market is worth nearly $100 billion.
- Of which, India contributes only around $1.5 billion.
- India imports around 80% of toys from abroad, which means crores of rupees of the country are going abroad on them.