Data Story : Plastic Waste Generation
Plastic is a synthetic polymer made of gasoline with structures suitable for various uses, including packaging, construction and construction, household and sports equipment, automobiles, electronics and agriculture. Plastic is cheap, lightweight, strong and soft. According to the International Union for Conservation of Nature (IUCN), at least eight million tons of plastic end up in the oceans every year.
Plastic Pollution in India:
- More than 300 million tons of plastic are produced annually, half of which are used to design consumer goods, such as shopping bags, cups and straw.
- Only 9% of plastic waste is recycled.
- About 12% burned, while 79% accumulated in landfills.
Steps taken by India:
- The Plastic Waste Management Regulations, 2016, prohibit the manufacture, importation, storage, distribution, sale and use of handling bags and plastic sheets of less than 50 microns in the country.
- India has pledged to take steps to reduce land pollution caused by Single-Use Plastics.
- India has generated 34 lakh tonnes of plastic waste in 2019-20, of which only 60% has been recycled.
This data story gives comprehensive details about the Plastic Waste Generated in world and in India.