World Telecommunication and Information Society Day 2020
30th May, 2020
World Telecommunication and Information Society Day 2020 was observed on 17 May to raise awareness about the use of technology and the importance it plays in the current scenario.
- The anniversary of the signing of the first International Telegraph Convention and the creation of the International Telecommunication Union (ITU) is celebrated on May 17 as the World Telecommunication and Information Society Day.
- It’s the day to celebrate the power of telecommunication and its importance in building relationships across cultures around the world.
- The day was coined by the United Nations General Assembly.
International Telegraph Convention
- The first international telegraph convention was signed in Paris on May 17, 1865.
- The event was officially commenced in 1973 in Malaga-Torremolinos, Spain, at the ITU plenipotentiary conference
- In November 2005, the World Summit on the Information Society officially asked the United Nations General Assembly to declare May 17 as World Information Society Day to focus on the significance of (Information and communication technology) ICT.
- The UN General Assembly adopted a resolution (A/RES/60/252) in March 2006 stating that World Information Society Day will be celebrated on May 17 every year.
- Before 2015, it was just regarded as the World Telecommunication Day, and later, the UN renamed it by adding ‘And Information Society Day’ ahead.
- UNESCO celebrates the day with a special theme every year.
- This year, as the world deals with a deadly virus and focuses on protecting and saving lives, UNESCO tried to highlight the importance of sustainable development.
- The theme this year is: Connect 2030: ICTs for the Sustainable Development Goals (SDGs).
Why is Day celebrated?
- The day focuses on using advanced technology to fulfill the sustainable development goals in the next few years.
- There are five goals as listed in the wholesome approach to achieve sustainable development goals to aim for economic, environmental, and social sustainability. These five plans include
Significance of the day:
- The day is celebrated to highlight the use of communication and positive exchanges through technology.
- The day aims to raise awareness about the possibilities of the use of Internet and other information and communication technologies (ICT) in bringing societies and economies together by the ways to bridging the digital divide.
- In a situation like COVID-19 pandemic, the use of information technology becomes even more crucial to stay updates on the news.