Location in News
25th Aug, 2023
Amid torrential rain in the upstream territories of Himachal Pradesh, the Bhakra and Pong Dams are flowing above their capacity.
About Pong Dam:
- It is a reservoir has been constructed on the river Beas in the wet land of Shivalik hills of Kangra district of Himachal Pradesh, which has been named as Maharana Pratap Sagar.
- It is also known as Pong reservoir or Pong Dam.
- This dam was built in 1975 named in honor of Maharana Pratap, this reservoir or lake is a famous wildlife sanctuary and one of the 25 international wetland sites declared by Ramsar Sammel in India.
- The reservoir stretches to an area of ??24,529 hectares (60,610 acres), and part of the lakes is 15,662 hectares (38,700 acres).
- Pong reservoir is the most important fish reservoir in the foothills of the Himalayas in Himachal Pradesh.
- In this reservoir, majestic fish is found in excess.